Wednesday, June 4, 2008

WebQuests

WebQuests are a way to build interactive environments through which other people build knowledge. There are different types of WebQuests. The main distinctions are the length of participation (one session to weeks of work) and the products that are created. There are various products that can be created, ranging from webcasts, to surveys, to interviews. Kathleen Schrock proposes that quality WebQuests contain six components: introduction, task, process, information sources, evaluation, and conclusion.

The portion that I found most intriguing was in the information sources section. It is recommended that people be given a pe-determined set of resources on the web to use in the WebQuest. This idea will help me as I continue to design professional development for teachers that is timely, useful and does not waste thier time. I have never made a WebQuest so I am very interested in the experience.

4 comments:

Gina Warren said...

This is an area that I really think I need more experience. Although I have read about webquests now, I have never been through a webquest nor have I created one. I do like that webquests can provide cross-curricular learning experiences . I think it would be beneficial to experience a quality webquest so I feel that I have a good model in mind as I create my own.

Adam Hunt said...

Hi!

I'd be really interested in seeing a WebQuest developed for teachers...could be the basis for some on-going professional development work. Interesting idea...

Adam

ann-marie said...

Here are some really cool webquests that I love and use. They are broken down into grades and subjects.

bestwebquest.org

webquest.org

emints.org

Enjoy!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think I am taking the same point of value from this that you are. Dr. Christie mentioned it today as well; it is most helpful to give a pre-determined set of resources to use in WebQuest.
This is what I was not knowledgable about last semester when I began using the internet with my students when researching.