Monday, June 16, 2008

Technology and Learning

The articles in this section made me think about how learning occurs in our classrooms and about how I can be a facilitator of that learning. As teachers begin to think of themselves as coaches or facilitators instead of the keepers and providers of knowledge it shifts the responsibility for learning and solving a problem to the students. One of the advantages to this approach is that we are teaching the student how to fish instead of just giving it to him or her. As I think about these articles it makes me consider how to balance the various approaches to teaching and learning to best support our students. I find that many people have an all or nothing approach when it comes to teaching philosophy. They either refuse to use the textbook or use it everyday. The most effective teachers that I have encountered have used a variety of apporaches to reach their students. They vary their approach based upon the needs of the students and the content being covered. Interesting articles!

No comments: